How is a Domo built?
- The PVC membrane is secured to its foundations and then pressurized. Polyurethane foam is then sprayed into the inside of the membrane. A combined process then runs: the steel framework is fitted and the shotcrete is sprayed until the reinforced concrete structure is completely built. The PVC membrane remains as the outer finish.
How long does it take to build?
The Domo structures require a short construction period of between one and four months.
Is it cheaper than other constructions?
Yes, its cost is competitive against conventional constructions.
In which cases is it mostly recommended?
Its use is especially recommended if one or more of the following conditions occur:
- Storage volumes from 400-500 m3.
- Places with limited space available. The dome will allow, in a reduced area, a large storage volume.
- Products that require special storage conditions, isolated from the outside.
- Installation in places subject to strong natural phenomena, such as earthquakes or hurricanes.
Is it completely airtight?
Yes, the outer layer is a 1 mm thick PVC membrane and the first inner layer is made of stiff polyurethane with a thickness of no less than 20 mm. Both layers make the structure completely airtight.
Are technical and acoustic conditions improved?
Yes, they are improved thanks to the polyurethane layer and to their geometry.
Can gaps be made in these structures?
Yes, gaps of the required size and geometry can be made.
Are special foundations required?
No, the double curvature monolithic surface has a better performance regarding punctual and distributed loads.
Can point loads be withstood on the outside?
Yes, greater than those on structures with different geometries.
How long do they last?
Greater durability than any reinforced concrete structure is guaranteed, with greater performance regarding earthquakes.
In summary, why choose a dome versus a conventional structure?
- Lower investment.
- Less time construction.
- Better structural behavior.
- More efficient structure.
- Lower maintenance costs.
- Better aesthetic and environmental impact.